New to the site? Check out the introduction here.
Wondering why there are no lyrics? Click here.
Which CQ piece was performed first? Click here.

Friday, June 6, 2008

6/6/08 Magnificat - 9th OT

This piece has some nuances that merit a brief explanation.  The parallel fourths moving from measure three into measure four create tension (representative of the tension of feeling unworthy in the sight of the Lord) that is resolved in the final elaborate final cadence (reminiscent of His healing power, bought for us despite our unworthiness).  It marks a couple of firsts: (1) the first time I've used extensive cross-voicing and (2) the first time I've used a duple in compound meter.

I'd also like to ask, at this point, that if anyone sees an engraving mistake (a "typo" in the printing of the music itself—a misaligned lyric or a flipped note stem), please let me know by commenting on the post.  Even if it was a while ago, I'd still appreciate hearing about it so I can correct not only the copy posted here but my own personal copy as well.  Thanks so much for supporting me through this.

Non nobis,
Adam

No comments: